Simple Italian Lemon Cake
Italian Lemon Cake
The fresh lemon aroma you get from this cake is reason enough to make it! There is a secret ingredient in this dish that you may have not heard of before, but it makes a world of difference. It's called Pane degli Angeli (Paneangeli®) aka "bread of the angels". It's an Italian ingredient commonly used in baked goods and is basically baking powder with vanilla, and as you can imagine is smells incredible too! You can find it on Amazon and highly recommend giving it a try. Enjoy this rich lemon cake with a creamy cappuccino!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet Pane Degli Angeli (Paneangeli®)
- 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a standard loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray thoroughly around the pan (this will help it slide out easier when it's done). Set pan aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Then add canola oil, lemon juice and lemon zest; and mix until well combined.
- Slowly beat flour into the bowl until it's been fully incorporated to the mix. Add the Paneangeli® and mix well. Then pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Sprinkle chopped almonds on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. (Toothpick test – insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf and if it comes out clean, then you're good to go!)
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice together until the icing starts to form into a smooth consistency. Scoop the icing into a resealable plastic bag and then cut a small slit in the corner of the bag. Drizzle glaze over the top of the cake. Enjoy!